ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

move license to another machine

Markus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: move license to another machine Reply with quote

Is it possible to move an already registered Product to another machine or what should I do, if I buy another machine?

Greez
Markus
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally it is. The product is licensed per machine, and if you license the product one day, and a few hours later request a new license (as the occasional person will try), then this isn't really in the spirit of the licensing and clearly one should have two licenses. However, we recognise that moving machines may be required occasionally, and we have mechanisms to allow that. With our new release, it will be possible for users to themselves unlicense a machine and automatically move to a new machine, making license portability even easier. If you having a planned move coming up from one machine to another, it's helpful for us to know in advance as it speeds the relicense approval when the move happens.
Markus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I just wanted to know, if it's possible or not to move the license.

Actually I want to buy the Encoder now, but it could be possible to move the license to another machine. Because we are starting a new company, but we don't know when we can move to our new office. Until then I work at home and need the Encoder there. That's it.

Thanks .... and btw ... well done.
The Encoder is amazing and together with the Package Foundry, it's all I need as a PHP software developer Wink

Greez
Markus
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the generous comments Markus, much appreciated Smile
niterain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Wait until they put in that feature Reply with quote

Markus, my advice is to hold off until they put in that feature of allowing you to move to a new machine. Because it will be a pain to get a new license later.
ximian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, is this feature already implemented? I'm in the Markus situation..

regards
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In version 6 yes, but we haven't released that yet. Anyone with a genuine need to relicense just needs to email us to explain why, make a declaration that the software and license files have been removed from the old machine (if changing machine) and that they won't be using the machine again for encoding, and to send a new license request. We'll look at the information received and generally be able to relicense. We're never stopping the genuine cases, but need to at least make an effort to weed out those cases where the re-requests are an attempt to gain multiple licenses.
TheWebGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick wrote:
In version 6 yes, but we haven't released that yet.

Version 6 in the pipeline already ? Can't wait to see what's going to be in the new version! Very Happy

I've been using 5 for a while now, and have to say that it's a fantastic product already. Hard to see how it can be improved upon.
michael3000

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liaison wrote:
However, we recognise that moving machines may be required occasionally, and we have mechanisms to allow that.

I used my old Desktop Computer for last 2-3 months, now tried to move licence to my new laptop, contacted with your support team and got response -

"> Licenses can be permanently moved to different machines but
> bouncing licenses between machines where a second license would be
> required is against our terms."

Please can you explain ?? Above you told that you allow if "occasionally".
I already used licence on my old computer all time for 2-3 months before!

My registered login on your system: michael3000

And provide link on your software terms
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael3000 wrote:
liaison wrote:
However, we recognise that moving machines may be required occasionally, and we have mechanisms to allow that.

I used my old Desktop Computer for last 2-3 months, now tried to move licence to my new laptop, contacted with your support team and got response -

Resurrecting a 13 year old forum post must be a record Michael Smile

The licensing policy is essentially one license per machine. If a user upgrades a machine then releasing a license and moving to a new one isn't a problem. Licensing improvements that we put in a few years ago also make it much easier to issue a replacement license if a machine has broken and the license cannot be released. So licensing is very flexible.

Moving a license routinely back and forth between two machines, such as home and work or desktop and laptop isn't permitted though, and if a user wants to enjoy the flexibility of using our software on two or more machines they should have the requisite number of licenses. In your case there was switching between two machines at least 9 times within a year, so a good case for two licenses rather than one. In the very early days we did provide multiple licenses with a purchase, but found that customers would rather pay less than for the option to use more machines that they didn't need, so we reduced the price and changed the licensing. Although some abuse the licensing system, and we do monitor this, it's refreshing to find that most people don't.
michael3000

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liaison wrote:
michael3000 wrote:
liaison wrote:

Resurrecting a 13 year old forum post must be a record Michael Smile

The licensing policy is essentially one license per machine. If a user upgrades a machine then releasing a license and moving to a new one isn't a problem. Licensing improvements that we put in a few years ago also make it much easier to issue a replacement license if a machine has broken and the license cannot be released. So licensing is very flexible.

Moving a license routinely back and forth between two machines, such as home and work or desktop and laptop isn't permitted though, and if a user wants to enjoy the flexibility of using our software on two or more machines they should have the requisite number of licenses. In your case there was switching between two machines at least 9 times within a year, so a good case for two licenses rather than one. In the very early days we did provide multiple licenses with a purchase, but found that customers would rather pay less than for the option to use more machines that they didn't need, so we reduced the price and changed the licensing. Although some abuse the licensing system, and we do monitor this, it's refreshing to find that most people don't.

I don't see any problem to buy additional licence but interesting to read my software licence for version 8

In my case I use old Ioncube Encode version 8 which I bought 2-3 years ago.
You offer Ioncube Encode version 10 on your website now.

Few years ago I don't have any problem to switch licence between computers one time per few months.

Is it your licence policy for version 10 different from version 8 which I am using now ? Do you have links on licence for version 8 and licence for version 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: