ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cygwin loader

intercorp

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Cygwin loader Reply with quote

I am using software that is ioncube encoded, with cygwin and PHP504. When I run the software I get:

...has been encoded with the ionCube PHP Encoder and requires the free ioncube_loader_cyg_5.0.so...

I have googled and found sites with phpinfo showing cygwin php running a ioncube loader, so I figure you must have made one at some point in time.

Can you please advise me how to use ioncube loader in a cygwin environment? Is it just a matter of contacting you per your 'loader_download' page?

Cheers Smile
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Unfortunately we don't have a cygwin compiled Loader available, only a native Windows version (plus all the other OS's that we support of course). Apart from PHP on native windows typicallu being unreliable unless using CGI, is there any particular reason to use a cygwin build of PHP? Bash can exec native windows apps as well as cygwin ones, so I would have thought a native build would be much better.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I need posix functions (sysvshm, fork, etc) so this was my solution. My distro machine is linux, and I need all those functions.

I didn't think a native windows apache/php would be able to be posix enabled. If it can be please let me know. I don't mean to make my life or your life difficult!

BTW I'm very new to cygwin (but not to linux admin).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I really need to use this software!
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The best solution is surely to just use a native Linux box. I'm not sure what you mean by your "distro" machine is Linux, but if you mean that your live site is Linux and your local dev machine is Windows then this could be a mistake. In general, a dev machine should be ask close as possible to the live machine to ensure that what you have tested locally will work on the target machine. Using OS emulation on a Windows machine simply for lack of a real Linux machine could be folly. If lack of a Linux box is the issue then consider setting your local machine as dual boot. Newer Linux distributions can repartition Windows drives, so no need for Partition Magic, and you could then do your Linux work on a real build. For not much money though, you could get a second local machine dedicated for Linux, and you could then have a true dev/uat environment that mirrors the live configuration, and not a cygwin bodge,

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Yes, my webserver is linux.

I've been working on the two-machine (win plus linux) setup for years, but just gone mobile with a laptop, so now it's just the one machine. I don't need anything special other than posix, so the cygwin bodge is exactly what I need, and works a treat!

I've just moved all my dev to this laptop, but I need to run an encoded 3rd party application. Does your loader not compile under cygwin? Any help appreciated.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We support a diverse range of OS's, and it'll compile on cygwin. If we can produce a free version of the Loader under cygwin (not sure about any licensing issues though) then we'll look into doing that for possibly the next Loader release.
intercorp

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your open minded and positive response. If you happen to do a test compile in the next few days please email me a binary!

Good luck with your business.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Cygwin licensing Reply with quote

A followup on the cygwin issue.

As I suspected, using the free version of Cygwin mandates that the Cygwin apps be GPL OpenSource, which of course is not possible for the Loader. Producing a Cygwin version would therefore require a commercial Cygwin license, which is something that we'll look into, but there are no current plans to obtain such a license as this is not required for customers to use our other products under Cygwin.

Out of interest, have you tried using the Windows Loader under Cygwin, either in the php.ini file, or renaming the _win_ Loader as _cyg_ and seeing what happens?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the follow up. I had a hunch to try what you have suggested, but never did, as I assumed the odds it would work are very low and php was saying it wanted a dll with 'cyg' in the filename, so I wrote the idea off an fancyful.

I've worked around the problem by now running two versions of apache, and two versions of php (a cygwin pair and a native windows pair (plus your win loader)). It works enough for me right now - thank you for your suggestions to use the window loader. Not ideal for me, but I'm getting by.

I'll try renaming the file and let you know what the results are.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I tried both methods you suggested. I tried using both the original name and a replacement name under cygwin, both via php.ini, and also with the child directory method (although I think only the php.ini method was working for me beforehand anyway). I couldn't get phpinfo to report the loader as being loaded via either method, sorry. Was worth a try though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube Loader All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: