ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Percentage of Hosts that Support Loaders or Runtime

internut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Percentage of Hosts that Support Loaders or Runtime Reply with quote

Just curious on a ballpark number/percentage of hosts that support either the loaders (having them installed already) or the support of runtime on their systems....

any guesses?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what we read and hear it's most, but a good place to read and ask would be WHT (webhostingtalk). iirc there were some posts recently on WHT or sitepoint that asked this and people replied to that effect. The other factor is how willing hosts are to add support if asked, and being a recognised industry standard, hosts generally will add support if required. There will always be the odd exceptiont, but this applies no matter what server side solution one uses.
Joris Vincken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the runtime loaders work on all hosts that my clients have.

The only exception I had was with one host that had outdated loaders so I couldn't use the runtime version either.
internut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice if the host had the loaders installed, and they were old that if the program folder had an /ioncube/ folder within it it would load those instead of the old within the php.ini.

Not sure if that is possible as its auto loaded via the .ini file.

hrmm?

wish hosts were more up to date with updating... though I had a host today do it really quickly, within minutes. Which is rare. Dedicated server so i'm sure that was why.
Vic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internut wrote:
Be nice if the host had the loaders installed, and they were old that if the program folder had an /ioncube/ folder within it it would load those instead of the old within the php.ini.

Not sure if that is possible as its auto loaded via the .ini file.

That would indeed by a nice thing, but the problem is that the loader is loaded in PHP at all time, rather than when it needs it (like one can do with runtime loading). As such, loading a second loader would cause two loaders to be loaded at the same time, which would obviously cause problems.

internut wrote:
wish hosts were more up to date with updating... though I had a host today do it really quickly, within minutes. Which is rare. Dedicated server so i'm sure that was why.

I personally find this one of the main responsibilities of a hosting provider. I've been in the hosting business myself for quite a while, and keeping the software up-to-date should have the highest priority. I can understand that some hosting providers are a bit reluctant to install/update software that was released just a couple of days ago because there still may be minor issues with it or whatever, but software should always be upgraded as soon as possible, in order to keep your system bug-free and, most importantly, secure. Updating something simple like the ionCube loader takes under a minute anyway - stop Apache, put the new loader in place, and restart Apache.

Vic
Mastermix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my experience of one of my mods being installed on over 100 sites

nearly all of them were shared hosts

there were only 2-3 that had already had the ioncube loader loaded and it needed updating to the latest which all of them did with no problems when requested

out of the rest i think they all supported runtime loading with the exception of one who did install the loader when requested via php.ini

in my experience they nearly always support runtime loading with no problems but that cant be used if there is already a loader loaded and if its an old version then you need to request them to upgrade it but all of them did with no problems Very Happy
internut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... but you know there are them crap-hosts out there that will not move. GoDaddy who I can not stand likes to make a stink about everything it seems.
Vic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point there Wink

Vic
internut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it boils down to what can you expect for $0.33 cents a year for a hosting account Smile
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! There is a WHT post currently from someone who wants to pay almost nothing for hosting and yet receive 20G storage, half a TB of bandwidth, and other requirements that will never be met.

Typically the shared hosts are pretty good though in terms of helping end users, but there are still some lame ducks out there. With the pricing of hosting falling, and VPS solutions available for only a few 10's of dollars a month, having at least the flexibility of a dedicated server even if still shared is really affordable by everyone and there's no real need for end users to be stuck.
internut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So regiser.com seems to be a lamo host?

From them on loading the loaders:

"We have sent the information that you have forwarded to our second tier
support and they have concluded that this cannot be implemented in our
apache configuration for security restrictions on our servers, However a
possible work around might be installing Zend Optimizer."
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internut wrote:
So regiser.com seems to be a lamo host?

Whether they're lame or not you can decide, but the main thing is that what they said is likely to be wrong. It's certainly possible that the runtime install method via dl() may not work, but a php.ini install should work fine. Evidently they don't support ZO either, which isn't uncommon, but a php.ini install would work for any PHP Engine API compliant extension and provided that they haven't customised or patched PHP to make it non-standard. If they use SELinux or grsec then they may need to use the relevant security tools to permission the shared library for installation into the apache program image, but this again applies to any shared library, and their staff should be au fait with how to do that if they're clued up on advanced Linux administration. If not, there are plenty of resources that can be found easily with Google that they could refer to and that would explain the error messages that they would see if trying to install a shared library that wasn't permissioned correctly.

If they have patched PHP and changed the internals then any shared library built against the standard PHP could fail, but hosts generally don't do that.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internut wrote:
I agree... but you know there are them crap-hosts out there that will not move. GoDaddy who I can not stand likes to make a stink about everything it seems.

On the GoDaddy front, a customer recently first reported an issue, but then said that they had Loaders working with GoDaddy (presumably runtime) after reuploading Loaders (their customer had installed the wrong ones). So it looks like GoDaddy are ok for using Loaders. They're a pain when trying to buy domains, but that's another story Smile
EvidentHost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We proudly always support the latest version of Loaders on all of our servers (php.ini).
Swaroop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know why some of the fellow hosts DO NOT support loaders in php.ini. For one thing, I have not seen any reduction in execution time of unencoded scripts.

And of course, ioncube encoded scripts run so much faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: