ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Override Server Version

3guk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Override Server Version Reply with quote

Is there a way to use the Loaders to override the server version ?? I have no access to the server and they are refusing to upgrade.

But I need 3.1 to be able to use some software I purchased.

Anyone any smart ideas ??

Problem is I am tied into a 12 month contract.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest 3.1 series Loaders incorporate support for new security innovations in the latest Encoders, and just as hosts should keep up to date with PHP, they should keep up to date with the latest security technology for PHP. Whilst upgrading and making change for the sake of it is not good, most hosts are very responsible and will keep ahead of the game in terms of bug and security fixes in PHP, associated modules and in extensions, as they understand the importance of this for customers. As the security on shared hosts is often poor, and this is increasingly recognised by users of shared hosts, more and more users are looking to encoding solutions to protect their website code. The hosts not recognising this are also falling behind.. Unfortunately though, there are some turkeys in the hosting market.

Feel free to pass on their details to us and a contact. We will be happy to answer any questions directly with them that they may have about the latest generation of Loaders, how to upgrade, the benefits for their customers, and the problems that result from not upgrading.
cjunge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the problem I've just run into, glad it's not just me!

My question to Nick is then: Are there any issues with upgrading the 2.5 version Loaders to the latest version for a Linux box? ie. are they backwards compatible?

Just want to cover any questions that might be raised by my host.

Oh, also, is there any easy way to find out the version of the loaders that are in a downloaded package. I'm on Windows & the version info isn't displayed, and even the php & text files in the package don't mention the version. The reason I ask is that while a package can be downloaded easily enough, there's no way of knowing if the version I have already is still current.

Thanks, Cameron.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should upgrade from 2.5 to 3.1.15

To determine version, you could install the Loader with dl() or in the php.ini file and call ioncube_loader_version() or ioncube_loader_iversion() in more recent versions. You could also grep for the string 'Version' in the Loader image. If in the php.ini file, the Loader version will also show up in phpinfo output.
electric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Override Server Version Reply with quote

3guk wrote:
Is there a way to use the Loaders to override the server version ??

I just want to confirm that this is not possible, right?

If the loaders are installed with the php.ini, then runtime loading is not possible?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, as you would be attempting to link two copies of substantially the same shared library into the running process. Linking would fail due to duplicate symbols, and even if linking were possible, there would be confusion from two competing Loaders. Even if both those were not issues, the third issue is that when a Loader is in the php.ini file, the preamble at the start of encoded files that triggers the runtime mechanism is never executed because it doesn't need to be. In fact, if it is executed and the Loader is already installed, the logic in the preamble emits a message to say that the file is corrupt, which logically it must be as if the file had been recognised as encoded then the PHP code wouldn't be running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube Loader All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: