ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

PHP v5.3 support - When?

Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: PHP v5.3 support - When? Reply with quote

When is the next version of the encoder going to be released that will support PHP v5.3?

An old thread here says to follow your progress on twitter, but there's no progress to follow being posted there.
kblessing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bout a month ago I heard Nick say that version 7 would *probably* be out in a few weeks. Which tells me probably in the next month or two as they iron out bugs. You can actually encode php files for 5.3 already you just can't use any functions or namespaces specific to 5.3 yet. And the encoded code will run on 5.3 with the current loaders.
Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kblessing wrote:
You can actually encode php files for 5.3 already you just can't use any functions or namespaces specific to 5.3 yet. And the encoded code will run on 5.3 with the current loaders.

Yes, I am very well aware of that, thus the bolded encoder in my original post.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which tells me probably in the next month or two as they iron out bugs.

The current status is that the 5.3 Encoder itself has been bug free for some weeks now (quite a few in fact), and the longer than expected release date is simply due to other changes to the product that we're finishing, many for the Windows version and the GUI, though there are some other Encoder/Loader related changes being introduced too. We have considered making either another version 6 release or a pre-release of version 7 before the final release with all the changes completed just to get the 5.3 Encoder out there, but this wouldn't be ideal and a partial release is not something that we'd normally even contemplate, so we're holding off from that still. The timing has just been such that there are several important active projects on the product that it would be best to have all completed for version 7, however if the release date looks like it's going to be too much further in the future then we'll re-consider doing an early release in some form.
Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. so you've explained quite well why it hasn't been released yet, but you have failed to give any sort of an estimate.

How long is "too much further in the future"?
kblessing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas wrote:
O.K. so you've explained quite well why it hasn't been released yet, but you have failed to give any sort of an estimate.

You seriously expect an exact estimate on a project in progress?
Dallas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kblessing wrote:
Dallas wrote:

You seriously expect an exact estimate on a project in progress?

Considering they have been saying it is "almost ready" for quite some time and have missed their own Q1 2010 projection, I think expecting a ballpark estimate that is not intentionally vague is not out of the question.
Emil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for this too since my application rely on namespaces I'm still not going to buy this product.
Max

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHP 5.2 is now officially End-of-Life.

Quote:

PHP 5.2.14 Released!

[22-Jul-2010]
The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.2.14. This release focuses on improving the stability of the PHP 5.2.x branch with over 60 bug fixes, some of which are security related.

This release marks the end of the active support for PHP 5.2. Following this release the PHP 5.2 series will receive no further active bug maintenance.

Any sign of PHP 5.3 support yet? Crying or Very sad
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're finalising some changes that affect the PHP 4, 5 and 5.3 Encoders at the moment, and when these are completed we'll be ready to release 7.0. I can't give an exact date but I would expect by the end of August, though we're aiming for rather sooner. There is more that we had planned for the 7.0 release than has been added already, but to avoid feature creep at this stage, we're now holding off on more new features until 7.0 release is out so as not to delay the release of 5.3 further. Again we're sorry that the 5.3 release has been held up, but with the decision made to introduce the 5.3 Encoder as of version 7, the release is contingent on the first release point for 7.0
Emil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good
hontalan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: ecited you're Reply with quote

i've been using 5.3 since it has been out (more than a year now), so i'm very much looking forward to this release. how will upgrading work in terms of cost for existing users?
kblessing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ecited you're Reply with quote

hontalan wrote:
i've been using 5.3 since it has been out (more than a year now), so i'm very much looking forward to this release. how will upgrading work in terms of cost for existing users?

Those who bought 6.5 less than a year ago, get a free upgrade to 7.
Those who didn't, don't.
hontalan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More specifically, I meant - do existing customers have to pay full price to get the upgrade. One of the reasons why I did not go for the annual auto-upgrade plan was because of the seemingly never-ending, but always unfulfilled promises for a new version...

If I have to pay full price for an upgrade, I may very well reconsider a similarly-priced alternative, which - unlinke Ioncube - was promptly upgraded with 5.3 support...
kblessing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hontalan wrote:
More specifically, I meant - do existing customers have to pay full price to get the upgrade. One of the reasons why I did not go for the annual auto-upgrade plan was because of the seemingly never-ending, but always unfulfilled promises for a new version...

If I have to pay full price for an upgrade, I may very well reconsider a similarly-priced alternative, which - unlinke Ioncube - was promptly upgraded with 5.3 support...

Looks like if you didn't pay for the renewal then yes you'd have to pay full price.

Quote:

An initial 12 months of support and product upgrade entitlement are also included for FREE, and the support and upgrade entitlement may be renewed for a further 12 months at $95 if purchased within 14 days expiry of an existing support entitlement.

and not sure of what actual alternative you're speaking of since zend still has not released even "loader" support for 5.3 yet (Where as ioncube for a while now has been able to keep existing encodings running on even 5.3). Just seems to me there's Zend and then there's Ioncube, anything else seems like you'd run into a bunch of issues especially in future php versions such as sourcegaurdian which is similarly priced, but doesn't cover as many platforms for the loader, and isn't clear that they actually support 5.3 namespaces and such in the encoding or not. And in the past I've never had much luck distributing apps encoded as such versus ioncube which is about as common as finding Zend optimizer installed.

And if you ARE talking bout SourceGaurdian, keep in mind that SG's protection is much weaker than ioncube encoder. Ioncube encoder compiles the code into bytecode to begin with which can also be obfusicated. SourceGaurdian on the other hand converts the encoding back into actual source before re-compiling it again, that right there is a major drawback, knowing that during runtime your original soruce could be exposed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: