ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a simple question

dgol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: a simple question Reply with quote

Hi,
assuming I have 2 file encoded using the PHP encoder and one file (file1.php) calls the other (file2.php)

1 .Does the original file naming (file1.php , file2.php) remains after the encoding process ? otherwize , I have to change in my code all the references for php files , right ?

2. assuming I have a couple of PHP files (lets say 20) that form my application and I want to protect them , after issuing the encoding method , the execution of the product would be something like "encoder engine.exe portal.php" instead of just running portal.php ? can i threat this mechanism a 'black box' or additional things (as mentioned on item 1 ) are needed ?

thanks,
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the query. The Encoder preserves file names, so you do not need to do any renaming. Unless you use options to change the behaviour, the fundamental goal of the Encoder is to produce an exact replication of your source hierarchy, encoding any scripts, copying any non-PHP files, and preserving file times and permissions.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by your second point, but running encoded files is transparent. There is a Loader component that handles the reading and execution of encoded files, and this works "out of sight". You, or the web server software, just run the php executable in the usual way on your encoded files, and they work just as if they were unencoded.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
1. You mean that I'd deploy the PHP encoder along with my source to the customer ? does the encoder license allows to distribute the encoder to a limited or unlimited amount of clients ?

2. What should be done in order to take a deployed project that is currently being downloaded from a web site and turn it into ionCube enabled project ? (e.g. I guess there must be also procedural issues such as configuration the clients php.ini files , along with the formal transcoding procedure)

Thanks and Regards,
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are two ionCube components related to encoding; the Encoder for protecting scripts, and the Loader for executing secured scripts. You would purchase the Encoder to protect scripts, and the user would have the Loader to run your scripts.

You cannot distribute the Encoder to others as it's licensed to the purchaser, and permitted only to be used for encoding scripts developed by the purchaser. The Loader is free, and can be freely distributed to anyone with your scripts. We recommend using our IPF product to create product installers, as then you do not need to distribute Loaders with the product, as the product installed created by IPF will automatically obtain Loaders when the user installs.

On the second point, you must obviously encode the project. This could be done once when you product a new release, or on demand when a user wishes to download. The latter can be a good idea as you can tie the scripts to the purchaser, e.g. by adding custom comments to the scripts that say who the scripts were licensed to. Other than that, you should bundle the Loaders with your application, or use IPF to create a product installer as mentioned above.

If "runtime loading" is supported by the target system, the Loaders can be installed on demand by the encoded scripts. The great thing about that is that no php.ini modifications are required. Otherwise the Loader should be added to the php.ini file.

The best way to see how all this ties together is simply to download a free evaluation package. You can do this from

http://www.ioncube.com/encoder_eval_download.php
dgol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again,
Thanks for your quick and efficient reply , I will certainly check the evaluation software ,
another issues I have tought about :
1. competability to other OS - will the encoding and IPF procedure work on a Unix/MAC system ?
2. Assuming one of the people who download my application is a pro , and can figure out himself that I used ioncube encoder to protect my files - will he be able to decode the script and get the source ?

Thanks and regards,
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Unlike most other systems, e.g. codelock, where it's trivial to restore the source, it is impossible to restore the source from ionCube encoded files. ionCube encoded files contain encoded optimised compiled code, not source. This is the key to security because it means that at runtime, files are restored to obscure binary data, not source, ready for execution. Restored code is also executed inside the Loader rather than by the execute routine inside PHP, and this further makes it hard for anyone to get clues about your code. Again unlike some systems that claim 100% compiled code, but that have curiously small sized decoder modules, (we know exactly what is required for a full and secure implementation), ionCube performs 100% encoding.

Encoded files run on a number of platoforms, including the Unixes that are most popular for web servers, and also OSX and Windows. IPF installers are currently Windows only, and can be created from Windows or Linux. Planning ahead, however, we used a cross platform GUI toolkit (wxWindows), and if possible we're aiming to produce a driver for OSX and Linux, so that the Windows and Linux IPF's can create installers for more platforms. Although OSX is up and coming, as shown by research of browser clients, most end users are by a substantial margin using Windows, and so having a Windows installer will meet the demands of most users.
jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick...

Has anyone ever said "you rock" Smile

-jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: