ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APC / FastCGI compatibility with ionCube Encoder?

brashquido

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: APC / FastCGI compatibility with ionCube Encoder? Reply with quote

I am considering using ioncube as an encoder for a PHP project targeted at Windows / IIS systems, and was wondering about any known ionCube compatability issues specifically with using the APC opcode caching extension and the FastCGI PHP application mapping?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason why there shoud be unless APC is faulty. If you do encounter any problems though, our upcoming IPS solution will be the way to go. This may also offer better performance than APC, and will accelerate encoded files as well, which APC will not be able to do.
Joris Vincken

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there already a timetable for IPS (and price indication)? I've read about it a few times and it sounds very interesting.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about to enter beta test, having been run on several sites for while already (including on this server for some weeks now). We expect release later in Q2, but we never release products before we're satisfied with them and so would aim to fix any issues that arise before release rather than rush it out anyway with known defects. Price isn't settled yet, but like all our products, it will be fairly priced as we do not believe in ripoff pricing structures.
brashquido

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Nick. I've read a few posts about IPS now too and it sounds quite interesting, especially if APC is unable to accelerate encoded files and IPS is. However this raises a few concerns for me in relation to range/freedom of product choice for customers with performance issues/concerns.

Perhaps this is something I have misunderstood from the start, but are you saying that ionCube encoded files are not accelerated at all by such opcode accelerators such as eAccelerator and APC? If so would ionCube ever consider developing the ionCube loader so that so that ionCube encoded scripts can benefit from acceleration offered by from such products? After all, the main reason I'd be looking at encoding my PHP scripts is to protect the source, and caching elements of the output should matter very little shouldn't it?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APC is not a content cache but a code cache. As a result, we cannot do this, and even IPS will not execute the code directly from its cache for security reasons.

Sit back and think about this for a moment. The Encoder is protecting your code, and whilst the code is compiled to obscure bytecode, bytecodes are still a representation of your original program, albeit in a different language to PHP source. If these are accessible, then potentially source code with functionality equivalent to the original program could be recreated.

An accelerator needs access to the bytecodes to cache them, and an opensource accelerator is by definition changeable into something else. Ergo, if we do this, any program would be able to get access to bytecodes by using the opensource code as a starting point. This would render the encoder solution totally insecure, and this is already a problem for compiled code products other than ionCube and zend guard that do not have their own closed source executor.

ionCube Encoder 6.5 also has new security innovations to protect the compiled bytecodes, and without reverse engineering our products, it would not be possible to successfully cache the opcode stream used inside the Loader.

So the simple answer is that a) it would be fundamentally insecure for arbitrary code to have access to the opcodes, and b) it would by design be technically impossible for other programs to use the opcodes from the Loader anyway.
brashquido

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the detailed reply Nick, you've certainly given me all the info I need. Will be waiting with anticipation to see how IPS performs, and how it is priced.

Cheers,
ckh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Nick,
Just wondering if the accelerator was coming along as planned. You had mentioned the possibility of a late Q2 release if you were satisifed with it.

Thanks
Chris
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta testing has been going well and it should be released later this year, but the schedule has been changed.
waylex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, what about IPS? It's 2009 already Smile

Is this functionality already integrated into loaders?

Thanks!
JimWallce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this post when i was googling if Ioncube is compatible with APC. I can see that you planned to release IPS in 2006, it's 2012 now, i'm wondering...,was IPS ever released?
If not, what alternative do you recommend? Is Ioncube fully compatible with APC and/or eaccelerator?

kind regards,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: