ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General questions

Hockey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: General questions Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where else to put this...

Anywho...

I've done some research and it certainly appears iocCube is going to be my choice for PHP encoding/encryption...if I decide to protect my source code that is.

My questions:

1) You use proprietary loader so it's more difficult to reverse engineer byecode? Can I assume that variables (by nature of being converted into bytecode) loose their naming, comments are stripped, etc? So if by chance if someone did reverse engineer, they would have the task of beautifiying the code still?

Does your encoder perform any other compiler/obfuscation type actions?
- Class hierarchy collapsing
- Static method inlining
- loop unrolling
- Compounding multiple statements

Does it perform any optimizations prior to converting to bytecode?

2) CLI support? If I wanted to allow users to download a 30 day trial version of my software and have that software bound to a single domain. I would ask them for the web site address/domain. Prior to downloading it would be cool if I could pass the source to a CLI version of the encoder with the domain and return a ZIP of the encrypted application ready for install on domain XYZ.com. Does your software support Linux CLI?

3) As I understand it, the loader's are free (albeit proprietary closed source) but the encoders are what cost money. I assume it's a one time fee for the encoder?

Cheers,
Alex
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex

As you say, the code is compiled. This means that it is transformed from a language that humans can easily use, with nice concepts such as comments, whitespace, free form layout and so on, into a language of binary structures, with no concept of whitespace, comments or anything that humans can understand easily. Some source level concepts are preserved such as function and variable names as PHP can access these dyamically with idioms such as:
Code:
$$varname = 'value'; $funcname();
however these can be obfuscated with one way transformations if required and appropriate.

"Does your encoder perform any other compiler/obfuscation type actions? "

The Encoder does perform some code optimisation, however the type of optimisation opportunities available for a highly dynamic scripting language such as PHP are different, and fewer, to those of statically typed and linked languages such as C or C++. The Encoder optimisations are mainly oriented around reduction in code size.

CLI is supported of course, however thanks to license files, you wouldn't need to encode your project on the fly. With any sever on the internet being vulnerable to intrusion from outside, most particularly shared servers, it's best to keep your source code away from public servers. Instead you could use license files, and with your scripts encoded once and setup to require license files, you would create a license file on the fly for end users. As well as safer, this is going to be quicker. If you develop on Windows, then note that we also include a Linux license generator, so with a single product license, you could encode on Windows and use the Linux license generator on your web server to create the license files.

You would be purchasing one or more licenses that entitle you to use our Encoder software (the Encoder is licensed not sold), and the licenses are a once only payment. Support and upgrade entitlement is also included for free in the first year, and this can be extended from year 2 if desired for low cost (currently $95).
Hockey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick, thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm still waiting for a reply by that other company SourceGaurdian. You certainly seem like the leader in the field of PHP encoding/obfuscation.

My biggest conern is of course selling software which is dependent on third party extensions. I've contacted a few hosts (shared) whether they support ionCube and unfortunately only one has replied positively, in that they do not install it by default but the option is there.

Do you all keep a list of shared hosts which actively support your decoder?

It would be nice to refer my clients to a list of supported hosts.

Cheers,
ALex
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We don't have a list at the moment, but if you check WHT for example and run a search for ioncube there, you'll find hosts advertising plans with Loaders installed. The view from folks there when the topic comes up is that most hosts either do support or will support the Loader if required, but tthere will always be some hosts who won't support extensions such as the Loader or Zend Optimiser. If you have any replies from hosts who don't provide support then feel free to let us know in a private email and we'll make a note for future reference, and also contact them ourselves.
EvidentHost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We consider ourselves as the best ionCube hosting because we are member of their mailing list and we update the loader as soon as a new version is released.

Visit: http://www.evidenthost.com/
Visit: EvidentHost.com
cjunge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey wrote:

It would be nice to refer my clients to a list of supported hosts.

Cheers,
ALex
Currently have a project hosted on HostGator using Ioncube - they have great support, and Ioncube was installed by default.

GoDaddy WON'T install Ioncube (last time I tried, that is!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: