ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems getting encoder to execute defined expiry time/date

phplugins

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Problems getting encoder to execute defined expiry time/date Reply with quote

Hi,

I am testing a script and came to the expiration part, as I would like to have it expire for free trial purposes.

I have tested it to see if it will expire after defined times (10 minutes, 1 hour) using the basic GUI that comes with Encoder. I am using the pro encoder however, and from what I understand, the script should be able to carry out the requested expiry function. I am just having no luck in getting it to actually expire and disable the script we are testing.

Do you have a tutorial available for this issue? I am about 99.9% sure this can not be a bug, as it would just be way too big for the product to have been this successful, so I can only think, it has to be something I am doing that is not enabling the expiry to carry through.

I am also using Windows XP if that makes a difference?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Mike
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: General information on file expiries, timezones etc. Reply with quote

Hi

Expiries definitely work, but I just tested anyway for sanity reasons.

Support issues are best handled in the helpdesk rather than the forum so that we can properly track issues, but I can give some general information here about expiries as this may be useful to yourself in this case and to others. If you need to followup on your specific issue, please submit a support ticket so that we can operate most effectively.

The first thing to note about file expiries is that they're from the time files are encoded, and not from when installed. Even with powerful installation systems such as installers created by our IPF product, for a web application, having files expire relative to installation time is tricky. For an install on a local Windows machine, the registry is one place where install information can be squirrelled away to be difficult to locate, but on Unix, and particularly to a restricted user area, hiding install time information is difficult. We have invented some interesting techniques that might make install time based expiry possible in such an environment, but they're not available in the product yet. One alternative solution is to use a "phone home" system for license validation, and licensing systems such as that from www.phpaudit.com may be useful for this.

With ionCube encoded files, files will expire both when the clock passes the expiry time, and if the clock is set more than a short while before a file was encoded. Anyone trying to trick licensing systems by putting their clock back exactly a year, (and we do get people emailing us who appear to have done precisely that!), is going to be out of luck when trying to use encoded files generated by a system with the correct time. This, of course, is exactly what you'd want from such a feature, but an aspect overlooked by some products.

Timezones can also sometimes be an issue if an end user has not set their clock correctly, and most noticable if there is a very short time expiry. In GMT+0, time isn't really an issue. However, for someone in, let's say, a GMT+8 timezone, it's important that they do set their timezone as GMT+8 and then that they set their clock correctly. Expiries are standardised on UTC times as UTC is independent of timezone. It's what time() reports in PHP or on Unix. If a GMT+8 person ignores timezone, has it set to GMT+0, and sets their clock 8 hours ahead to appear to give the correct time in their region, their UTC time will actually be 8 hours ahead (i.e. wrong!), and a file would expire 8 hours before it was scheduled to. Most people probably wouldn't make this mistake, but it could happen.

Nick
phplugins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Hi,

I appreciate the info! We got it to work - as I was pretty sure that it was something I was overlooking or not doing properly! Smile

Sorry for the scare there - Your product is awesome! Best I've seen of it's kind (if it can be put into a class with others!).

Again, thanks for the info!

Quick responses to support queries definitely far surpasses my already exceeded expectations of the product in a positive way!

Regards,

Michael Donohoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: