ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do the licenses work?

ddleigh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: How do the licenses work? Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I would like to make use of the licence feature, but I'm struggling a bit trying to understand how they work and how to use them. I've tried to create one, but all I get is that the licence is invalid.

What I would like to do is to encode the php scripts to use a licence, so I can generate a different one for each customer that ties the software to one machine. I'd like to then be able to issue multiple licences for each customer, if they wish to use it on more than one web server.

Could you give me an idea of what licence properties I would need to use to achieve this, as I'm struggling to think of any? And more importantly, could you explain how I would create these licences, because I'm rather stuck trying to understand the relationship between a licence file and the scripts that use them.

Also, at what point in the installation process would I need to get the customer to ask for a licence? Could that be done in your desktop installation wizard or should it need to be part of my online installation wizard?

Debbie
cjunge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the licensing in a similar way to which you're described.

I encode the files so they require a license and then provide each customer with a license with some custom properties set.

By default, running the application reports that a license file is required (the message can be customised) and they have to contact me to get the license. Once they've received their license and installed it the application is activated. Nothing else is required.

If you wished to have the license entered as part of an install, then the install system would need to be unencrypted.

Cameron.
ddleigh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for shedding some light on the licences. I think understand them a bit better now, but could you give me an idea of what properties I should use in the licence to make sure it is unique to a customer?

Debbie
cjunge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have visible & hidden properties. Visible properties are shown in the header of the license, while hidden properties are encoded into the license file.

Using these allows a license to be unique for a customer. A license that shows the company name may be all you want, or you might want your application to check a serial number hidden in the license. Up to you as to how your application checks the licensing.

Cameron
ddleigh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cameron,

I've just been having another look at the licence dialog. Am I right in thinking that you can set some properties to be constant for each file and some to be dynamic that you fill in later? If so, what sort of values would you use for each type of property?

Also, it says in the manual that the loaders check the values in the licence with the ones in the page being requested and if they don't match or are missing, the page is not executed. If this is the case, I can't see how the dynamic properties could be validated, as they are added to a licence long after the pages have been encoded. Do you know what the dynamic properties are validated against?

Debbie
cjunge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can assign properties as part of the license settings. I'd recommend creating a project and having a look at the License Settings window.

Properties can be entered with default values, exposed (displayed in the header) and enforced (means the license will be validated against the files). There's more details in the manual as I recall.

Have a look at the settings, the Create License window & see what the different settings do. Testing might be your best bet.

Cameron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: