ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

development has been stopped?

Bernd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: development has been stopped? Reply with quote

Hi,

if the development has been stopped (what it looks like), i request a OpenSource publication on GitHub.

Thanks!
musikdoktor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped? i bought PHP Encoder 10 few months ago.. Exclamation Exclamation

Facepalm..
atlanical

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just slow at everything. Maybe they've lost money and become a one man band and Nick is struggling to make it support PHP8
Josh Abbott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDIT]
ionCube has always taken a while to release new loaders after major PHP updates, so the delay for PHP 8 loaders isn't unexpected. While quicker releases would be great, they've always released the new loaders before the previous PHP version reaches EOL.

However, I am slightly concerned that there haven't been any posts in the forums from ionCube staff in several months. I figured they don't see the point in continuously saying "we're still working on it" until they can provide a release date. But I do think the staff should reply to this thread just to confirm that development is still ongoing, even if they don't have any additional news at this point.
iCOM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting concerned as well.
Not because of PHP 8, Encoder 11 support - that's fine, I can wait - but because of the lack of activity from the staff here and because of this:

svrvh wrote:
Don't expect a update any time soon.

i have been doing some digging around and it seems that the address that ionCube Ltd registered to has been vacant for some time now. i send a friend in the UK to that location
and has been there 3 times over the past 2 months and there is a empty building with no signs outside and no stuff inside. neighbors did confirm that ionCube Ltd is located there.

did ionCube Ltd move location? or is this the end off ionCube Ltd?

Also, there have been no loader updates in the last months.
There was about one per month (www.ioncube.com/news.php), now there is silence

Does anyone have any open tickets here, do the staff respond to them?
Does anyone mind calling their phone number... just to hear if anyone picks up Very Happy? ("Telephone lines are Closed" it says on the "Contact us" page, hmm...).

Any sign of life from the staff would be highly appreciated. IonCube has a significant importance to us, and I guess to the rest of the people here as well - Thank you!
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: An overdue update Reply with quote

Concerns from all noted.

In summary, everything is fine, no one has died though the office plants haven't faired so well. Here's an update on various points.

Like many companies, we made infrastructure changes in 2020 due to COVID. It was clear that lockdowns would be coming so we developed a plan to move everyone to be remote, and rather than wait, instigated that ahead of the first lockdown from the UK government. Being remote has some challenges and we prefer being in the office, but overall it's worked pretty well.

Quote:
Also, there have been no loader updates in the last months.

Loader updates are generally either a) to support a new version of PHP, b) to fix bugs, c) to update the built-in features for malware protection and/or real-time PHP error reporting offered by ionCube24, or perhaps to activate a new ionCube24 feature. If you weren't aware that the Loader has these features, you can find out more at ioncube24.com

Our test suite for Loaders is approaching one million tests on a full run (currently around 750 thousand tests now and it grows on each release), and while issues can still show up despite such a vast test suite, they tend to get ironed out quickly. The lack of bugs recently and no other necessary changes is why there have been no Loader updates. Currently we expect the next update to be for PHP 7.4 compiled files (the Loader can already run files compiled for earlier versions of PHP on 7.4).

Quote:
Does anyone mind calling their phone number... just to hear if anyone picks up

Part of our plan for remote working was to make changes to the phone system. When office based we host asterisk on an internal server and our SIP desk telephones connect to that, however to reduce the need for SIP traffic across VPN connections when remote and possible reliability issues, we setup a dedicated external server to host asterisk. Incoming calls hit that, should be working fine, and trigger telephones in several locations; over the years we've developed extensive bespoke monitoring systems for key infrastructure, and systems support staff get real time alerts on their mobiles almost immediately if servers have issues or essential devices such as telephones go offline, so any problems don't tend to last long. If you do try though and you don't get a human after our unique IVR intro, please shoot an email or create a support ticket to let us know.

Quote:
there haven't been any posts in the forums from ionCube staff in several months

The forum can make things appear inactive, but it's intended to be community supported with official support handled by the helpdesk. If our support was bad, products were poor, hard to use or confusing then there'd inevitably be more activity, but we work hard to ensure the opposite is the case for all of those points.

Quote:
Does anyone have any open tickets here, do the staff respond to them?

Tickets are coming in, and we survey at the end of each helpdesk ticket with the aim to track how we are doing. The most recent feedbacks this month are "Thank you a lot. it works well." "gOOD product. thanks" (sic) "very good experience, Ben C my interlocutor was clear and succinct. He found and fixe my issue very quickly." "Very fast, very qualified. Good team!". So support appears to be working well with no known issues.

Quote:
if the development has been stopped (what it looks like), i request a OpenSource publication on GitHub.

It hasn't, but in such a scenario we would aim to take steps to ensure that users wouldn't have an interrupted service for the immediate future and be stuck if they needed to move a license for example. Releasing as opensource wouldn't be best though for what are hopefully obvious reasons!

Quote:
I figured they don't see the point in continuously saying "we're still working on it" until they can provide a release date. But I do think the staff should reply to this thread just to confirm that development is still ongoing, even if they don't have any additional news at this point.

That's essentially it Josh, but fair point on the need to show signs of life! Supporting the most recent PHP 7 and other product related changes required more development work than usual and there have been some niggling issues to resolve; if we didn't have those 750K tests we would have released sooner in blissful ignorance of issues, but it's better that we do have them and iron things out. We've also been looking at why 7.4 has been an anomaly and had delays with a view to addressing this going forwards. Something we know has an increasing impact is implementing the back compatibility support that allows existing compiled files to work on new PHP's. It's something that might be taken for granted and just assumed to work because you can do this with source files, but it's non-trivial and actually no other providers with compiled files have ever offered this.

If anything has been missed in this update do let us know, and also be aware that as a company, we are highly approachable and happy to engage about what we're doing, listen to what features you would like in products, if there are products we don't have that you'd like, what we could do better etc. This can be online, but it's actually really nice when someone reaches for the phone and calls us to have a live conversation. We have also considered some online events, such as a public Slido to collect questions followed with a zoom, and if we managed to get some good attendees that could be fun to do, but focus has necessarily been firmly on development so that remains on the sidelines for now. If it's something you think we should consider at some point then that would be good to know as well.

To wrap up, I hope that addresses some of the FUD and trolling that's arisen in various quarters, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions or concerns going forward.
iCOM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot liaison. Glad to hear you are all doing well Smile.
Sorry for switching a bit to panic mode with my post above.

Keep up the good work!
atlanical

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND STILL NO UPDATE TO PHP8 For god sake Ioncube....

Are we going to have to wait until PHP 8.0 becomes EOL in 26 Nov 2022 for you developers and team to pull your finger out of your arses and release a new version!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: