ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High CPU due to IonCube

raxon1s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: High CPU due to IonCube Reply with quote

Hello,

The last 10-15 days i have a problem with high CPU and that is for sure due to IonCube. I will explain

I'm currently using my software to more than 1500 different servers. The software to the half of the servers is encoded with the latest loader for PHP 7.1 and the other half for the PHP 7.2

All were working great, but suddenly the last days, some of the servers have really high CPU usage ( 100% ), and load average to more than 1000. At start, i thought it was because of some possible attacks, but then , i just tried to upload my real source to them, and the CPU usage reduced to 5%, and so the load average.

Later, i decided to upload again my ioncube source on the server, and i saw again high cpu and load average. I did upload again my real source, and CPU reduced. I did this test more than 15 times to ensure it was because of ioncube. (of course i tested that my website was working ok with the real source )

The strange part is that i didn't have this problem before 10-15 days. Did you guys enabled something remotely that sends some data or something like that? It just doesn't makes any sense.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that this is happening at random times. Even with ioncube source is OK sometimes. But some others is nightmare. When i have High CPU usage, i tried restarting PHP-FPM and nginx, but didnt help. Only real source solves it.

Please can you review it? I have serious problems because of that.

Thanks
raxon1s

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. Another test case

With Ioncube,

CPU Usage: 60-70%
Load Average: 25

With Real Source

CPU Usage: 20-30%
Load Average: 12

Definitely Ioncube is not as much as lightweight was used to be, and it can't keep up with high traffic any more.

Also with ioncube we can't enjoy the Speed Benefits of PHP 7.x. It is slowing down us a lot.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for creating a ticket, it helps the support team get some clarity Smile

Nothing's changed our side and no, there are no remote features that can be turned on or off in relation to protected code.

If you choose to enable the ioncube24 part of the Loader so that you can enjoy the benefit of realtime protection from vulnerability exploits and malware being planted, and so that you can get realtime alerts of PHP runtime errors, then there is two way control between the ionCube24 infrastructure and the Loader, but that's only if using those features. If you haven't enabled and setup ionCube24 support then it's an isolated component.

Performance can be better with encoded files, but it depends on factors such as what protection was enabled, whether you use binary or ascii encoding, whether you use the encoded paths feature to specify where encoded files are located in order to skip testing of files that are known not to be encoded. ionCube24 also caches knowledge of whether a file is encoded or not, so can deliver a performance gain by skipping files known not to be encoded. If you haven't explored IC24 yet (ioncube24.com) I highly recommend it!

For your main issue at this point though, the support team will be able to guide you further.
Muser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have experienced the same issue as raxon1s reported.
Encoding sources (PHP 7.1) almost exactly doubles the CPU load on the server. No other changes were made to the source or to the environment. The Ioncube24 feature is not configured. Surprisingly, the response times are only slightly longer (server can handle extra load). Nevertheless, this is unacceptable and definitely a bug of some kind. The same behaviour can be replicated on a different machine/setup.

In my case the files were not encoded before, therefore I have no reference point to past encoded performance.

I poked around a little and might've found a clue. The application includes a lot of source files on every request. If I un-encode some of them (mostly static content) and exclude the directory (ioncube.loader.encoded_paths), the CPU load is reduced (not much, but consistently).

Please advise how this problem can be solved, or at least tracked down to provide more information on reducing CPU load.
alastair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Muser,

Please would you create a ticket in our Support Help Desk at https://support.ioncube.com about this with a self-contained test case that demonstrates the issue clearly.

Please also attach to the ticket your encoding options and, also, the output from a phpinfo() script on the server on which you are running the encoded files.

ionCube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube PHP Encoder All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: