ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback

ioncube & hhvm

meng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: ioncube & hhvm Reply with quote

Hi,

Just curious, is there any thoughts around making Ioncube work with hhvm?

Thanks,
Marcus
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would require changes to HHVM, but is a possibility.
pkent79

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I know it's only been a month or so since the last reply on this thread but, is there an update on a possible porting or other type of module for use with the HHVM?

IonCube support would definitely allow for increased use of the HHVM and the benefits would be great for both.

Thanks,
Panagiotis
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that we'll be considering but we have to choose our battles, and rolling out new security innovations that we've had on the back burner for frankly too long are one of the main points of focus at the moment. Out of interest, is HHVM support a feature that you would be prepared to pay for, or would you expect it to be provided free of charge in the same way that our standard Loaders are?
pkent79

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the price is not prohibiting, I am sure i could convice our clients having explained how much faster their sites would be running on HipHop instead of plain-old PHP-FPM.
PuHZIRx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this support in the pipeline? If not, we will likely have to migrate away from ioncube and become open source. I imagine many other companies will have to migrate away from ioncube without this support. The hosting industry is rapidly moving to HHVM as the php execution engine of choice as it reduces their hardware costs.

As a result, ioncube is no longer a real solution. It doesn't work to have 70% of users using encrypted code and 30% using open source because they are using HHVM. And, it does not work to turn away 30% of business.

This is literally a huge business risk to ioncube, so I have to imagine it is top priority for you. Afterall, IonCube the company will probably collapse within a year or two without HHVM support as the market is about to be too segmented. There are a HUGE number of hosts about to switch to HHVM (its good marketing, reduces costs, and end users love it).

I really hope ioncube sees the risk not supporting HHVM poses to their business model and I hope it is supported as an addition cost for the encoder. I would be willing to pay 3x the base product price in order for it to have support for hhvm.
xj9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Maybe IonCube going out of business isn't such a bad thing Reply with quote

PuHZIRx wrote:
Is this support in the pipeline? If not, we will likely have to migrate away from ioncube and become open source. I imagine many other companies will have to migrate away from ioncube without this support. The hosting industry is rapidly moving to HHVM as the php execution engine of choice as it reduces their hardware costs.

As a result, ioncube is no longer a real solution. It doesn't work to have 70% of users using encrypted code and 30% using open source because they are using HHVM. And, it does not work to turn away 30% of business.

This is literally a huge business risk to ioncube, so I have to imagine it is top priority for you. Afterall, IonCube the company will probably collapse within a year or two without HHVM support as the market is about to be too segmented. There are a HUGE number of hosts about to switch to HHVM (its good marketing, reduces costs, and end users love it).

I really hope ioncube sees the risk not supporting HHVM poses to their business model and I hope it is supported as an addition cost for the encoder. I would be willing to pay 3x the base product price in order for it to have support for hhvm.

I want to agree with you, but I'm not sure you know what "Open Source" means. It is entirely possible to sell proprietary software without encrypting the source. What I think you mean is switching from encrypting distribution packages to distributing them in cleartext. Maybe I'm wrong and you've decided to embrace FOSS!

In any case, I agree. Ignoring HHVM probably isn't a great business decision for IonCube. Then again, I am pretty strongly opposed to DRM so maybe thats a good thing. Razz
hwongcom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: i would like to have ioncube working on hhvm as well Reply with quote

can you get this done? I will upgrade my ioncube loader subscription for hhvm to work with ioncube else i'm dumping ioncube totally and use hhvm bytecode instead... so i would like to know if i can just forgo ioncube at this point or is ioncube willing to make it compatible with hhvm and when can we expect this feature?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no date currently for an HHVM Encoder.
AcsendiaMarketing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Fix Needed Reply with quote

This compatibility issue needs to be addressed, We want to use HHVM on our websites but IonCube is holding us back.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fix Needed Reply with quote

AcsendiaMarketing wrote:
This compatibility issue needs to be addressed, We want to use HHVM on our websites but IonCube is holding us back.

This is something you need to talk to Facebook about as it's an HHVM issue.

To consider an analogy first, if you have an MP3 player from manufacturer A and one from manufacturer B, just because they can both play your set of MP3's, it does not mean that an accessory for player A will also work with player B, and you could not reasonably expect it to.

To be clear, the Loader is designed to work with a software product called the Zend Engine. This comes from a company called Zend Technologies and is used by the official implementation of the PHP language from the PHP Group. If HHVM had a 100% compatible API to that of the Zend Engine, complete with the necessary compile and execute hooks, then it would be likely that the Loader *would* work, however this is not the case. HHVM is a partial clone that is capable of processing most features of the various PHP languages, but it shares little if anything in terms of implementation details with the Zend Engine. Armed with this knowledge, it should not be surprising that something designed to work with the Zend Engine does not work with something that is not and that does not try to be the Zend Engine.

What might be needed is both an Encoder and Loader designed for HHVM, and development costs for this could easily be $50K+, and might well run into 6 figures. It is unlikely that a return on this investment would be seen in any reasonable timeframe.

Interesting though HHVM is, ongoing speed improvements with the official PHP implementation, the PHP Opcache, and frameworks such as Phalcon that eliminate the 100 to 200+ millisecond startup time that the typical framework may experience due to being implemented as a C module, provide a compelling and compatible alternative to using something like HHVM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: