ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback

switching license between 2 computers

gr68

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: switching license between 2 computers Reply with quote

Hello

every some week I need to swtich my license from my pc to my notebook when I need to leave the office for some day.

Today I had problems to send the correct revoke license due to the difficult to revoke licenses in Windows 7 64 bit italian . For 3 times I sent a wrong revoke file (it was an old file because I was getting it from a bad location) , and then I sent the right revoke , doing a manual revoking from console which was not easy to apply .

Now I receive this incredible email from support !

=======================================================
I see that you have been switching a lot between graziano-PC and kirk-PC.
We only allow a limited number of revokes within a certain period of time,
and frequent bouncing a license between more than one machine is not
allowed. Due to the recent switching, we will not be able to license the
graziano-PC machine again with your primary license, and if you do need to
license graziano-PC again, please purchase an additional license for that
purpose.

Dorine
=======================================================

So , not only I lost my time trying to revoke license in windows 7 64 bit ,
now I received also this incredible email !!!

Which is your reply ioncube support ?!?
I need to buy an additional license because you are still not supporting fully windows 7 64 bit and I need to lose my time trying to understand myself how to revoke a license ?!?!?

I am really disappointed ! Anyone experienced this ?
kblessing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not surprising to me, as the encoder is intended to stay on the primary licensed machine and that transferring a license is usually done in the case of an upgrade or machine replacement. So to prevent abuse it wouldn't surprise me if they had some kind of limitation to that degree.

And while it may be frustrating, I'd actually believe in ionCube's action on this matter.

While this is probably not what you want to hear (and probably *might* not work, though I've tried it), you could instead have a Windows XP virtual machine on say VmWare or similar on a thumbdrive and that could be your encoding machine (perhaps even test machine).

PS: I doubt the failed revokes count towards your transfer count, but rather simply trying to revoke/request on an almost-daily interval. Also console revoke isn't too difficult, just adding --revoke-license to any of the encoder executable calls in cmd, but I'm used to CLI since OSX doesn't have a GUI compared to the windows version (you'd almost think it'd be the other way around).
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today I had problems to send the correct revoke license due to the difficult to revoke licenses in Windows 7 64 bit italian . For 3 times I sent a wrong revoke file (it was an old file because I was getting it from a bad location) , and then I sent the right revoke , doing a manual revoking from console which was not easy to apply .

To be clear and for the avoidance of doubt, license revoking from the current version on Windows 7 64 bit as with other Windows OS's works fine, and you can do this simply by un-installing the software whereupon a revoke file is created automatically in the licensing folder. Send the revoke file and the associated license gets released. Easy, and if auto-processed, very quick too. Finding that sending the wrong file from a bad location didn't work should not be surprising.

With regards to the other concern of the OP, a quote from a previous support ticket of theirs is relevant here:

Quote:
I hope you will permit/allow us in the future to use the license in min 2 computers , it will be a solution for all .

We recognise that customers will from time to time will wish to upgrade or replace a licensed machine and so we provide the revoke mechanism for that purpose, however it was made clear to the OP at the time and reiterated on this occasion that licenses are sold for use on a per-computer basis and not for use on multiple machines. If a customer asks if they can temporarily transfer a license to a different machine for an isolated event such as holiday or while a machine is sent for repair then we would usually be happy to allow this, however the OP has bounced their license back and forth between the same machines around 25 times since it was issued, including 6 or 7 times between the latest desktop and laptop machines just recently. We do expect customers to "play fair" and it is important to our business model, and if a customer's requirement is to use our software on two or more computers, they should purchase the requisite number of licenses for the purpose; additional licenses are provided at a discount to the first license, with an extra discount when purchased at the same time as the primary license so that they are around half the full price, so every chance is made to get setup as required with a very fair deal.

In the early years and against advice, we did provide our software with 4 licenses as standard, but we were soon asked by customers for fewer licenses at a lower price, so we obliged and switched to the more straight forward single machine based licensing. As a business our aim has always been to be able to offer our products at the lowest possible prices to give the widest range of developers a chance to encode their work, and the revenue stream from additional licenses helps to support this. Every customer benefits from this when they purchase their first license at a price that is lower than it would otherwise need to be, and it is selfish and potentially hurts other customers if a customer then goes on to abuse the licensing system by failing to support the company and purchase additional licenses when required. As an aside, the OP's support plan also expired in early 2007 and was never renewed, but they have still requested support a few times since then, and we have obliged none the less.

While the OP should acquire an additional license from their past history alone, we did note that their main requirement and reason for moving the license was to generate licenses when they were away from home, and it was mentioned that the license generator for PHP scripts is not itself licensed, and can be used on any machine from the command line. We also currently include the Linux version of the generator for free with Windows too, giving the opportunity to implement online licensing, either for themselves to use on some form of admin page, or to be integrated into their website and not requiring manual actions at all.

So to sum up, Encoder software licenses are sold on a per-computer basis and should be used as such, with additional licenses available as required. Licenses can be released by un-installing the software (in the Windows case) if needing to be moved to a different machine configuration on a permanent basis, and infrequent and limited switching between machines is generally allowed too provided that there is not clear and blatant abuse of the privilege.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: