ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube Package Foundry

Install location url

surefire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Install location url Reply with quote

I have noticed that if I use this for the FTP server address

www.mysite.com

Then in the next step when I get to install location url it is prefilled... very convenient.

But if I were to use
ftp.mysite.com

Then the install location url is not prefilled.

Is there a reason for this...? Can it be changed in the next version so that ftp.whatever.com populates install location url with http://whatever.com?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack

There is some logic for "smart" detection of what to use for the web address, but it could be made smarter and your example is a perfect example. We've noted it as something to look at for a future release.
surefire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Feedback from a client Reply with quote

Hey, just wanted to let you know that my clients are thrilled with the IPF product...

Here's what a client of mine wrote to me tonight
Quote:
The new installer is pretty spiffy, but the dialogs for the install path and
URL threw me just a little bit. On both domains I'd installed it under web
URL but when I specified the http:// folder (e.g.,
site.org/contact-new/ or site.com/contact/ ) the script couldn't
find the files. When I just specified the domain name only everything was
fine. Admittedly I was in a big hurry and probably a member of the 'little
bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing' club so if I'd slowed down just a bit
and read the dialogs thoughtfully that aspect may have gone more smoothly.

I have well documented readme, pdfs, website support, and even use the buttons inside IPF to send users to specific support pages on my site online... having said that there are two steps that seem they could be skipped or made smoother.

1- The step right after you choose the default install path on your server, and you're supposed to click the button that opens up a small new window with a list of directories on your server. The problem here is that it's possible to bypass this important step altogether (as my client has, and as I have by accident) and proceed to the next screen, only to get an error message that the files were uploaded to the server but they can't be found. Perhaps IPF could force this step if the Next button is clicked without the user manually FTPing to the site via IPF.

2- As I mentioned before, the step with choosing the host url path seems it could be simplified or skipped. Perhaps, if IPF can be made to read the host url more dependably, it could be a screen where you confirm the site url but IPF does a darn good job of pre-populating the field with the correct url.

Thanks for a great product. I know with the recent release of the Encoder upgrade (thanks for that too!) you have a lot on your plate... but hopefully these suggestions can make it onto the to-do list for the next soon-to-be-released IPF update.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Firstly, skipping the URL step would be possible. If the URL location has been determined automatically, as often it will be, it is unnecessary to prompt for it with the guess as the default because the installer can be sure that the guess is correct, and that any other URL would be wrong.

To the the problem of the user, it appears to be from making a guess at what information was required and getting it wrong, instead of reading the one line instruction above the field.

Earlier designs of IPF were certainly more confusing, but the process has been greatly refined through user feedback. Mistakes on the URL are negligible now because a) the specification of the URL is consistent with how the FTP target is specified, ensuring that even guesswork is likely to succeed, and b) there is a precise instruction displayed above the field.

Constistency and simplicity for the user are essential, and all the installer user should need to think about is 1) where do I want to put this package on my server, and 2) what URL points to the location I chose in 1) - and that's how it is.

Quote:
The step right after you choose the default install path on your server, and you're supposed to click the button that opens up a small new window with a list of directories on your server. The problem here is that it's possible to bypass this important step altogether (as my client has, and as I have by accident) and proceed to the next screen, only to get an error message that the files were uploaded to the server but they can't be found.

This isn't correct. Of course you have to specify an install location, but you don't need to click "Browse". The Browse button displays a file browse dialog that looks the same as a local Windows file browser but is browsing the remote server. It's just to help you select the install location on the remote server if you aren't sure where to install. To help users, it also preselects the most likely top level folder based on common conventions.

Note that some users will want the install location to be empty because they will be installing directly into the directory that the FTP server puts them into upon logon. If left empty, it could ask for confirmation that this was intended, but that could be irritating for users who are always installing into the home location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube Package Foundry All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: