ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback

Package Foundry suggestion - web based version!

electric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Package Foundry suggestion - web based version! Reply with quote

Hello,

I think a perfect comliament to the Windows GUI Package Foundry would be a nice web-based version.

For example, a set of scripts that we can host on our product website. It would work the same way as the Windows GUI version, where customer simply enters their FTP info, navigates to the desired folder on their server and clicks "go".

The advantages would be:

- Customer doesn't need to download anything to their computer
- FTP would be MUCH faster, especially when customer has slow connection or our package has a lot of files.
- Improves likelihood of a sale of software, because customer can immediately install the product while they're browser the site.. no need to download anything, go find it on the computer, etc... just go to a webpage, enter FTP info, and poof.. done.

We were going to build something like this ourselves, because we are finding that the package foundry is much too slow. A lot of our users are on either dial-up, sattelite, or just slow ADSL, and our package is over 10mb size with about 2000 files. Even with a high-speed connection it takes over 5 to 10 minutes to install using the package foundry FTP. Most "high speed" connections are very slow upload speeds...

But when we do an FTP connection to the target host from our web server (we did a small "proof of concept script"), it took on average 45 seconds to upload all the files.

That's a huge difference, and definately is worth pursuing.

What do you think?

If Ioncube is not willig to do this... does anyone know if such a product already exists? (I hate to re-invent the wheel.)

Thanks!
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better performance of a server upload vs. local modem/dsl upload would be appealing, although an end user can usually start IPF, make and enjoy a cup of tea, and the upload would be done. A possible downside of a web system would be that users might not want to disclose their FTP login details to a 3rd party site, particularly if it doesn't use an SSL certificate from a trusted authority, but they could at least have the option.
electric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Thanks for looking at this request. Smile

Quote:
although an end user can usually start IPF, make and enjoy a cup of tea, and the upload would be done.

I am looking at this from an entirely "make the sale" point of view, which is why I disagree with you. heh. Smile

For example, we have a software product that we offer as a "try before you buy" download. It's basically the same software as the real version.. but with a 30 day trial, etc. This is very common, I think...

Now what happens, is that a potential customer arrives at our website and is interested in the software. They click the link to "try now!... and they have to sit and wait for a 10mb .exe file to download, save it to their computer, then go find it, run it, enter their FTP info, and then wait... wait....wait....wait....wait....wait... sometimes 10 to 15 minutes for the 2000 plus files to be uploaded.

From a sales point of view.. that is a killer. The customer is excited about our software, they're on our website.. they click the download button and want to quickly see it...

... but we're forcing them to wait and wait and wait...(go get coffee, as you put it)... and I think that sometimes they lose interest, because often they will simply continue searching for competitor websites while they're waiting. (That's what I usually do if I'm waiting like that and looking for software solutions.)

The HUGE advantage of an online Package Foundry version, would be that the FTP process is much faster, the customer never leaves our website, and they can get started with the trial/demo within seconds. We don't "lose" the customers attention at all.

I hope that makes sense?

While I agree that it's sometimes nice to get a cofee and take a break.. when it comes time to sell our software, we don't want to give the customer any reason to take their attention away from us during the precious moments when they are in the mood to buy.

Imagine going to a local car dealership and saying you want to take a test drive of a car you're interested to purchase. Now imagine your reaction if the dealer tells you to go sit by the cofee machine for 15 minutes while he stands at the counter sorting through keys. I suspect you might get a little upset. Now imagine you are in a virtual store, and you have google search and you can browse through OTHER car dealerships while you're sitting there, to check out the other cars at other places...

I doubt that dealer is going to get a lot of sales, and removing that little wait would be an absolute priority.

That's how I view this. Smile

Anyway.. I appreciate your patience, and if you read this far.. thanks!

(On a related note.. if you are going to go forward with this.. let me know what kind of timeline you are thinking. I don't want to re-invent the wheel, and I'd rather buy it from you then spend the time creating this myself.)

Cheers!
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments are welcome Smile
electric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick. I wish more vendors were like you! It always amazes me when a vendor takes the "I know better then my customers" attitude.

Over the years I've been using the Ioncube products, you have always provided very consistantly reliable and "nice" support, even when (on two occasions I recall specifically) the problem I was having was my own cause.

Smile

Cheers!

(And if possible, let me know about if you might go ahead with this idea... just so I know and then I'll wait for it rather then continue forward with my own.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: