ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback

Send license data (GUI).

TRUSTAbyss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Send license data (GUI). Reply with quote

I think it would be nice if you guys implemented a GUI interface where you can generate the network data, used for generating a licdata.txt file. When the user chooses the network for ionCube, give the user the option to send that information to licenses. After the bot verifies the data, generate the licdata.txt file in the ionCube directory. This will help a lot of people who need to reformat their computer every year or so due to a virus or adware.

I don't like the fact that I have to send the "licreq-eth0.txt" to licenses, and download a new licdata.txt file every time I reformat my computer. This interface will remove a lot of frustration, and make it easier to restore the ionCube software.

Does anyone agree?
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on the todo list. There were sound reasons in our view for why we chose email, and this is in part that it helps identify requests that have come from unauthorised sources. The license robot is successful in processing most requests if they meet certain criteria, and in such cases the overall turnaround time from generating a license request to receiving a license file is a matter of just a minute or two if not less. Using email has helped to catch license violations as intended, however we now have a substantial customer base and process many license requests every day both from new customers and existing ones. Moving to a more automated system would be go for everyone.

What we may do is move to network based licensing whereby short term licenses are issued that are good for perhaps just a few days or so, and these would be renewed automatically in the background whenever possible. This would make the initial licensing easier, and also make switching licenses to different machines seamless and avoid the need to generate and submit revoke files, although that process has served everyone well for the most part.
TRUSTAbyss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to regenerate a license every few days. I was thinking of a system that sends information about your network to compare it with the current license data. This will make sure that no one can distribute pirated copies of the software. The network that matches will return true and generate the licdata.txt file inside the ionCube program folder. You would need to provide your ionCube account information for this to work. You can also revoke a license for registering ionCube to a new machine, using this method. Someone isn't going to just give their account information away, unless they're stupid. An added security measure would be to monitor how often a license is revoked. For example, you could set a time duration before you can revoke the license again.

Doesn't this sound better? Think of it as the "Call Home Once" method. No bandwidth wasted! Cool
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We monitor revoke usage already as the process is not intended as a way to bounce a license frequently between different machines, and is provided so that customers can switch from one machine to another on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. As not everyone is always connected to the internet, the old method or a variation thereof would still be provided, but renewing licenses in the background over the internet would offer some advantages in the cases where for one reason or another a revoke is not provided.

Some companies have a very simple rule about moving software to a different machine; if you licensed on machine A and now you want to use the software on machine B, you must buy a new license. This is arguably fair enough, but we didn't want to go that route and felt that if someone has purchased a license, then providing that they don't abuse the system they should be able to move a license to a different machine.

Most people can revoke but they don't always, and this is either because they cannot or because they want to cheat the system, and sadly there are always a few who do that. Rather than ask people to pay for a new license in this case, which we don't do but have considered it, the ideal thing would be for a license to have a short lifetime so that getting a free replacement license under false pretences would not be effective.

On your main point though I quite agree, and automating the license and revoke process into the product, with displayed dialogs if the user is required to do something before a new license can be issued (which we could avoid with short term licenses), is a good idea.
epctechno

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it totally automated but if you set a flag for so many times per so long have it stop and NOT generate them one and to have them contact you all Smile Just an idea to make it that way. I had to format mine to get that damn vista off here in my .NET environment and the system was quite fast on responding via e-mail but what is requested here is a great idea I think Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: