ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube Package Foundry

interactive configuration within the installer

Skizzerz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: interactive configuration within the installer Reply with quote

From what I can tell, IPF supports either launching a text editor to modify a configuration file, or redirecting the user to a script that was uploaded to finish the configuration. I was wondering what the possibility would be on including an interactive configuration utility within the installer itself. The way I'm envisioning this would work is below:

1. User is presented with a pane in the installer asking them to type out information to various things in a controlled manner (e.g. there is a textbox for Database Username and Database Password, or a combo box for true/false variables in the config file). Exactly what appears and how it appears is controlled via the ipf script file or the GUI.
2. After each step, an optional validation script is launched. This script can be different for each pane, so there could be one script to validate database input, one to validate something else, etc. (sent via POST requests)
3. If it is valid, that data gets written to a local configuration file in a format pre-specified by the ipf script or GUI (some sort of templating engine would be nice, but not necessary)
4. Once the entire configuration is valid, it uploads the local configuration file to the server
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have a possible future feature already logged for collecting details via a form in the installer and then creating a config file from that; most likely the fields would be substituted into placeholders in a template skeleton.
Skizzerz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds wonderful, and I look forward to seeing it in a future release Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> ionCube Package Foundry All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: