ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback

freebsd 6 amd64, php 5.3

Author Message
ionsquare



Joined: 04 Nov 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: freebsd 6 amd64, php 5.3 Reply with quote

Need a loader for freebsd 6...64 bit..php 5.3

asap

Why oh why does zend and ioncube skip freebsd 6..64, since its release ?

Zends excuse is that they saw little sales for freebsd products, thus its a waste of their time to compile loaders for it.

What the heck does the ecoders have to do with the need for loaders. If developers products wont run on freebsd 6 because there are no loaders, why should they buy the encoders ......

Am i missing something here or are both these companies strange?

===> ioncube-3.3.19 is marked as broken: Does not work with PHP 5.3 on FreeBSD 6 amd64.
*** Error code 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kblessing



Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 241
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm not an employee of ionCube, so mainly speculation and my own experience)

Well, nearly 99% of target systems I would guess are Linux x86/64. Gota concentrate on the biggest market first then work the way down. It's even harder if the ionCube team doesn't have every single possible system installed at once (I'm guessing they use virtualization for any system they don't support right off the back.)

But least you'll notice they did update FreeBSD 7 and 8 to the latest 4.0.1 loaders. So at least those systems will be ready for ionCube Encoder 7 upon it's release. And noticing they haven't updated the loaders since 2006 for the 64bit version of FreeBSD 6, its safe to say your choices are:

1) Upgrade to FreeBSD 7 or 8
or
2) Compile PHP in 32bit (honestly there's no real reason to have PHP running x64, trying to access a file over 4GB or memory over 4GB within a single thread would likely mean that PHP is crashing)
_________________
http://ionvz.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kblessing



Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 241
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw the last release of 6.x is two years old, and is not being released any further than that, it was made legacy at the time of 7.x introduction, so can imagine what its considered at the time of 8 being announced.

Just saying it would be as I imagine difficult to support a system, that it's own creator has discontinued.
_________________
http://ionvz.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ionsquare



Joined: 04 Nov 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kblessing wrote:
Btw the last release of 6.x is two years old, and is not being released any further than that, it was made legacy at the time of 7.x introduction, so can imagine what its considered at the time of 8 being announced.

Just saying it would be as I imagine difficult to support a system, that it's own creator has discontinued.


just for the sake of conversation...

php functions exactly the same on all OS

This product targets PHP. OS doesn't mean a thing when it comes to demand for loaders. especially when your entire business revolves around how widespread and available the loader is. I understand not paying much attention to freebsd when it comes to encoders and
other devel products, since most people dont develop on freebsd.

but their end products are usually php applications that they are wanting to sell to as many users as possible, including freebsd users. and btw, no one interested in performance is running freaken linux webservers i'm sorry.

Also many people tend to stick with stable versions of OSs rather than install the latest. These guys probably dont even know how many fbsd users try to install ioncube, since most get the programs from the ports collection....

but whatever. i guess im the only person on the internets whos in this position. or atleast, im the only one dumb enough to go out of my way to try and convince someone to get unlazy and compile a fresh loader
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kblessing



Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 241
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionsquare wrote:
kblessing wrote:
Btw the last release of 6.x is two years old, and is not being released any further than that, it was made legacy at the time of 7.x introduction, so can imagine what its considered at the time of 8 being announced.

Just saying it would be as I imagine difficult to support a system, that it's own creator has discontinued.


just for the sake of conversation...

php functions exactly the same on all OS

This product targets PHP. OS doesn't mean a thing when it comes to demand for loaders. especially when your entire business revolves around how widespread and available the loader is. I understand not paying much attention to freebsd when it comes to encoders and
other devel products, since most people dont develop on freebsd.

but their end products are usually php applications that they are wanting to sell to as many users as possible, including freebsd users. and btw, no one interested in performance is running freaken linux webservers i'm sorry.

Also many people tend to stick with stable versions of OSs rather than install the latest. These guys probably dont even know how many fbsd users try to install ioncube, since most get the programs from the ports collection....

but whatever. i guess im the only person on the internets whos in this position. or atleast, im the only one dumb enough to go out of my way to try and convince someone to get unlazy and compile a fresh loader


The solution would be (at this point) pretty simple, 32-bit build of PHP regardless if the host OS is 32bit or 64bit would work with a 32bit version of the loader.

PS: I found the laziness insult to be comical. I'm sure if it was simply a matter of compiling a build under that platform, that you'd have your loader already, rather I feel there much of been an underlying issue with that particular system and they did a simple ROI evaluation on continuing support or moving on.

Kinda like why don't they have 4.0.1 for OSX x64 which I use right now... but I least understand why its unlikely for that to happen any time soon. All of my clients have either been windows-based or linux-based users, the few people I know who did run FreeBSD or Unix usually had their own in-house stuff going on.

Though its pointless for me to nitpick since I'm sure nick will eventually come along with ionCube's official stance shortly.
_________________
http://ionvz.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
liaison
ionCube Support


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 2756

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: freebsd 6 amd64, php 5.3 Reply with quote

Quote:
ioncube-3.3.19 is marked as broken: Does not work with PHP 5.3 on FreeBSD 6 amd64.


There is no release 3.3.19 that I'm aware of. There is 3.3.16 for FreeBSD 6 32 bit, which isn't broken but will not run on 64 bit because it's for 32 bit, and there is an older 64 bit release.

We have recently been increasing the range of FreeBSD offerings following work on an internal project to enhance our Loader build infrastructure, but FreeBSD 6 is about to hit its official end of life and the last request we received for 64 bit FreeBSD might well have been several years ago. For completeness we may update the FreeBSD 6 builds in due course.
_________________
Community Admin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
liaison
ionCube Support


Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Posts: 2756

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: freebsd 6 amd64, php 5.3 Reply with quote

Just to add,

ionsquare wrote:
If developers products wont run on freebsd 6 because there are no loaders, why should they buy the encoders ......


As very few web servers that need to use encoded files are running PHP 5.3 on a FreeBSD 6 64 bit platform, it would seem not to be a concern for most developers, and we do have a Loader porting service that can be purchased if there's a need for Loaders on an unsupported configuration (usually applicable for more obscure architectures).

Quote:
Am i missing something here or are both these companies strange?


I'm sure that all companies may be strange on one level or another, but we've demonstrated a clear commitment and have put in significant amounts of time and resources to support end users running FreeBSD, plus we intend to do so for the foreseeable future. To consider another difference, we've also ensured that existing encoded files can work on PHP 5.3 without a need to re-encode the original source. It is curious that a company in this sector would do neither, but perhaps they considered it not to be important for their customer base.
_________________
Community Admin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kblessing



Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 241
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, Zend dropped FreeBSD completely for their optimizer.
_________________
http://ionvz.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Suggestions and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum