ionCube Logo
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Popularity - PHP down, Ruby on rails on the UP!

dwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Popularity - PHP down, Ruby on rails on the UP! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

The latest trends on Google show Ruby on rails becoming more popular:
http://www.google.co.uk/trends?q=ruby+on+rails
And shows the popularity of PHP is flagging:
http://www.google.co.uk/trends?q=php

PHP is not going to die a quick death due to its overall popularity but due to recent stupidity with new versions of PHP (lack of backwards compatibility, and deprecated functionality) in my opinion PHP could easily be on the way out before version 6.
YES, YES, all these changes in the upgrades are necessary to improve security but we all live in a World with a certain amount of risk, we would not leave the house if we starting considering all the risks of walking up the road....

So, [rant over] will Ioncube be offering an encoder for Ruby on rails? And when?

Once I have re-written all my applications they will eventually be released (this may take one to two years, but need to start soonish).

Whats everyone else think?

Dave.
www.DWalker.co.uk
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

This is interesting, and we have been keeping an eye on trends. One question; why do you feel the need to rewrite your applications in Ruby? Is this because you see the eventual decline of PHP and the problems from the PHP Group tinkering with the language as being bad for your business? Because of security problems? Because Ruby is something new and exciting? or...?

As a long term strategic decision, migrating may be beneficial, although there can be a significant cost involved in rewriting that would most likely add no short to medium term business value, whereas adding to your existing product base with new features or new products would. Program translators to migrate PHP code to Ruby may also appear (in fact I'm sure that I've seen these already), and they would save you time once they were mature and reliable.
dwalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

If you have been keeping an eye on trends, then you will have also noticed a fall in related PHP traffic and related the two?

WHY considering changing:
"PHP Group tinkering" - HELL, YES! This is bad for your health, as a developer you do not need such pissy changes like removing backward compatibility, etc.
Nothing to do with security - like I said previously we all live with an element of risk, thats LIFE.

It has quite the opposite to do with "cool" (aka, as you put it, new and existing). There aint anything cool about spending days reproducing the same thing in another language (I find it a drag). Return is zero and learning curve high, but it could well be a necessity to stay with the winning crowd!

There, answered your questions, could you answer mine now [are you a politician LOL]

So I ask again: will Ioncube be offering an encoder for Ruby on rails? And when?

Dave.
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are you a politician LOL

Smile With regards to when/if, there is no information to give at the moment, sorry!

I hope your project migration goes well, and it will be interesting to see how the charts pan out over the coming year.

I'm not sure how much we should read into the PHP chart at the moment, but it would be sad if the popularity of PHP waned for the wrong reasons. The PHP Group should perhaps call it a day with language changes, abandon plans and aspirations for PHP 6, and concentrate on making PHP 5 as robust as possible. Work on security, performance, stability and general maintainance should continue, as well as additional platforms, third party module libraries, PECL etc., but leave the language itself alone. It's far from perfect, but has many strengths and has proven itself to be capable of supporting some fairly large scale project development (although how maintainable those projects will prove over the next 5 years or so who knows). It will be interesting as always to see how the future unfolds.
Zain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Popularity Reply with quote

Php's STILL more popular than Ruby on Rails:
http://www.google.co.uk/trends?q=php%2C+ruby+on+rails&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
liaison
ionCube Support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the historical timeline, I don't think that anyone would have doubted that. The fact that Ruby on rails is on the increase is also not surprising due to the marketing that it has received. Ruby itself, which has been around for quite some time, hasn't been pushed as much and so has remained under the radar. The increase in interest for RoR is predictable and natural, and there are no charts that i've seen that would suggest anything statistically significant there. I do recall the first days of Java, and the many millions of GBP and dollars that went up in smoke in failed Java projects as a result of people jumping on the bandwagon, not least in my own industry sector at the time of investment banking, and I wonder if history will repeat itself with ambitious RoR rails projects that ultimately fail. Time will reveal all Smile
eeve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often misunderstand trends.

A new technology will always have a significant period of artificially high interest, which is not a reflection on the number of people using it, but rather the number of people who jump onto Google to find out what all the fuss is about. They read up on Ruby, maybe try it out. Then they go, hm... so that's what the fuss is about. Then they go right back to their tried and true.

Also, how many experienced developers go to google and search for PHP? They likely have their favourite resources bookmarked.

Kinda like Nair. I bet most of their sales are first time buyers... sounds cool in theory, till the customer realizes it doesn't work. LOL
epctechno

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Python is more powerful than Ruby is, if anything that should be added but this is PHP mate Smile
leckmi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruby-on-rails is clumsy and slow.

its nice to create a quick app with it, the language is sure nice to learn

i still love php since it is very fast for a interpreted language with so many libraries.
also it is widely supported and defacto standard.
i see no need to change.

many first-euphoric ruby enthusiasts, turned back to PHP for higher performance large-scale apps, since ruby just doesnt work good with a real lot of visitors.

ruby is clumsy like JSP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ionCube Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: